When you first learn programming, chances are that the very first program you write will print the message “Hello world”. The problem is, that’s the closest most people get to saying Hello to the world. We talk of globalisation and urbanisation but we’re all still very myopic in our thinking, knowledge and social life. How do we widen our horizons? Why, blog of course! The internet has no deficit of blogs. There are tens of thousands of blogs dealing with a variety of topics and issues. Granted, a lot of these are personal blogs which have to do more with the person’s daily life than anything else but the internet still has no dearth of bloggers. So if you already have so many people online blogging about all and sundry, why are am I asking you to blog?
1. I recently read a beautifully composed post about 15 things in life that you should assume. One of the things you need to assume is that your opinion matters and hence you need to blog. Take a look at yourself. Everyday and every second of that day, you hear, see and think of so many things. Things of great importance and the usual nonsense. Fact remains, you decide what matters. You filter out what matters to you and the rest, well, that just disappears. What a waste! They say one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, so what may seem irrelevant to you, may hold great importance to another. Thanks to the irrelevance to your life, the information is just lost and no one is benefitted. If you were to take the chance to put it out there, there’s the slightest chance some one who needs or who’s been waiting for that piece of information gets it. You in turn reap in the gratitude of that person. It’s a win-win both ways.
2. As a person, you are bound to have an opinion on everything. About politics, education, technology, …. the list is endless. And you would love to share your opinion with others. But in today’s world, one hardly has the time to sit down and look at the person opposite them, let alone give them their opinion on whatever they’ve come across lately. With a blog, you have the opportunity to give your opinion. Let it out there in the world, to be free and fly. You might just end up educating someone or get educated yourself!
3. We all go through a lot. Happiness, sadness, depression, anxiety. It’s an ocean of myriad emotions and sometimes you can’t help but feel like you’re drowning in it. At others you feel like you’re an alien, so different from others and that no one can relate to you. But you’re not alone! There’s always going to be someone who has felt or is feeling or going through the same as you. And when you don’t have anyone around you that can help you, it’s up to you to reach out to the world and ask for help. After all, when you really want something, the entire universe conspires to get it to you. Pour your heart out, you’ll find so many who sympathise or empathise with you. You may even find someone who understands what’s going on with you and help you out. Or you may just turn out to be help for someone else. Heal the world, one blog post at a time!
4. Ideas! We all have a hundred different thoughts and ideas. About how to improve something or start something new. But the problem with most of us, is that we either we don’t have the time, skills or resources for it. Or we’re just plain lazy. But what a pathetic excuse to let the idea die even before it sees the light of day. Blog it, maybe there’s some one else, who has the skills or resources or time for it. You could see your idea take birth and grow before your eyes.
5. Man is a social animal. We all need other people to live a healthy normal life. We need to meet new people, make friends and socialize. We need to be able to talk and have someone listen to us or at least pretend to listen to us. It’s not asking for much is it? But sometimes it feels like it does. Like no one cares about what you have to say or that no one’s listening. So why don’t you just blog about it. Get it off your chest! Who knows? There might just be someone listening.
At the end of the day, we all just need to be heard!
PS: Yes, I have an exam tomorrow 😀